Dad & Mom's Wedding - Sept. 3, 1960Rhonda in Mom's Garden - age 5 or so
Thirteen years ago today, my Mom left her earthly home and was welcomed into her heavenly home. I picture Jesus, her beloved Saviour, welcoming her with open arms on March 30, 1995. Honestly, I cannot comprehend the glories and specifics of heaven...I only know her celestial home will be hers for ETERNITY and we will be re-united someday!!!
I know the glories of heaven are far beyond what my mind can comprehend, and that she would not want to be back here on our temporary, sin-ridden earth.
But I sure miss her. I've thought much about her this week, as I do every year the week prior to her death. Missing her, combined with hormones, having a new baby, etc., some tears were shed.
I miss who she was: her infectious laughter, her constant support - in words and actions, her wise counsel, the glue she was in holding our family together, her joy in the small things of life, her love for and celebration of Ken, her continual prayers for me/us, her knowing me so well and rejoicing in me anyway, and most of all the godly example she was to me for almost 21 years. She was my best friend.
I miss who she would have been, if she were still here: a fun wedding planning partner, a celebrator of college graduation, a confidant, a help for a struggling new teacher (did you know she taught English and Music?), a joy-finder when I was down, a reality check in life, a friend to share everyday life with, a thrilled mom at our wedding, an (even more?) thrilled Grandma-to-be!, the tenderness of seeing her holding her grandchildren, and most of all, the special, involved Grandma she would be to our children and my nieces and nephews. Ken says that is what he regrets the most: our children won't have the privilege of knowing the person who had such an influence on forming me into who I am and for her absence in their lives.
How do you encapsulate a person in words? I am unable. Simply stated, she was an irreplaceable person to me. How grateful, very grateful, I am that God chose her to be my Mom. I am grateful for the special relationship we shared (being the only daughter, we had to stick together with the 3 manly men in the house!) and how close we were.
She was a unique, remarkable woman, one you would want to be around. If you didn't know her, I wish you could have.
This week, when I have thought of her, it filled me with sadness at times. One day, the pain felt like it had happened yesterday. Time doesn't heal; it creates a new 'normal.' I was taken aback how poignant the feelings of missing her were; I'm sure increased due to just having sweet Aaron. The kids know their Grandma Linda is in heaven; maybe heaven will seem more real to them as they grow?
In church this morning, I sat in the back row and while we were singing tender, worshipful songs about Jesus, I thought, "13 years with Jesus. I wonder if they celebrate anniversaries in heaven?" And with a gentle peace in my heart and a quiet smile, I thought, "Happy Anniversary, Mom. It is so cool you've been with Jesus for 13 years!"
Thank you, God, for that refreshing thought. And if your Mom is living, please include her in your life, celebrate her role, and let her know how how precious she is. You will never regret time spent with her. If she's not, perhaps you can reflect on what qualities made her special, ones that you would like to exemplify in your life.
p.s. Her favorite flowers were hyacinths - oh that amazing scent! - and I sure love them, too. She was an avid gardener, growing lots of hyacinths and other flowers. I am constantly sniffing hyacinths in the grocery store! Thanks, Amy, for helping me with my new look. I love it!
I know the glories of heaven are far beyond what my mind can comprehend, and that she would not want to be back here on our temporary, sin-ridden earth.
But I sure miss her. I've thought much about her this week, as I do every year the week prior to her death. Missing her, combined with hormones, having a new baby, etc., some tears were shed.
I miss who she was: her infectious laughter, her constant support - in words and actions, her wise counsel, the glue she was in holding our family together, her joy in the small things of life, her love for and celebration of Ken, her continual prayers for me/us, her knowing me so well and rejoicing in me anyway, and most of all the godly example she was to me for almost 21 years. She was my best friend.
I miss who she would have been, if she were still here: a fun wedding planning partner, a celebrator of college graduation, a confidant, a help for a struggling new teacher (did you know she taught English and Music?), a joy-finder when I was down, a reality check in life, a friend to share everyday life with, a thrilled mom at our wedding, an (even more?) thrilled Grandma-to-be!, the tenderness of seeing her holding her grandchildren, and most of all, the special, involved Grandma she would be to our children and my nieces and nephews. Ken says that is what he regrets the most: our children won't have the privilege of knowing the person who had such an influence on forming me into who I am and for her absence in their lives.
How do you encapsulate a person in words? I am unable. Simply stated, she was an irreplaceable person to me. How grateful, very grateful, I am that God chose her to be my Mom. I am grateful for the special relationship we shared (being the only daughter, we had to stick together with the 3 manly men in the house!) and how close we were.
She was a unique, remarkable woman, one you would want to be around. If you didn't know her, I wish you could have.
This week, when I have thought of her, it filled me with sadness at times. One day, the pain felt like it had happened yesterday. Time doesn't heal; it creates a new 'normal.' I was taken aback how poignant the feelings of missing her were; I'm sure increased due to just having sweet Aaron. The kids know their Grandma Linda is in heaven; maybe heaven will seem more real to them as they grow?
In church this morning, I sat in the back row and while we were singing tender, worshipful songs about Jesus, I thought, "13 years with Jesus. I wonder if they celebrate anniversaries in heaven?" And with a gentle peace in my heart and a quiet smile, I thought, "Happy Anniversary, Mom. It is so cool you've been with Jesus for 13 years!"
Thank you, God, for that refreshing thought. And if your Mom is living, please include her in your life, celebrate her role, and let her know how how precious she is. You will never regret time spent with her. If she's not, perhaps you can reflect on what qualities made her special, ones that you would like to exemplify in your life.
p.s. Her favorite flowers were hyacinths - oh that amazing scent! - and I sure love them, too. She was an avid gardener, growing lots of hyacinths and other flowers. I am constantly sniffing hyacinths in the grocery store! Thanks, Amy, for helping me with my new look. I love it!



4 comments:
Wow, Rhonda...thanks for sharing your heart, and your pictures too. Robyn looks so much like you! Though my relationship with my mother was different, I can relate so much with your thoughts and feelings, especially about being a grandma. I miss who my mom could have been in my kids' lives. I'm coming up on 18 years since my Mom died and you are so right...time does not heal. As I start to plan Andrew's graduation (!) I have found her on my mind more often, knowing she'd have been so proud of him too. So, now I'm crying too. Know that I share your tears and your Mom would be so very proud and delighted to see the wonderful mother you are. Thanks again for sharing your heart. Love, Tracie
Sounds like our moms have been on our minds this weekend, my dear friend. I went to my high school reunion Friday night...you know that Michael W. Smith song "Everywhere I Go I See You"? Literally everywhere I went, I saw her there, and new waves of grief crashed over me. July will mark 15 years that my mom went home. I remember when your dear mom died, just two years later. The wound was so fresh, it was like losing my mother all over again. So now I find comfort in thinking of Jule and Linda sharing a cup of heavenly java at Jesus' feet and having a good laugh at the antics of their beautiful grandbabies. Even though they didn't know each other on this earth, the love of Christ and the love of their daughters unites them in heaven.
My mom's favorite flowers were roses, and my garden is filled with them. I think today when I go for groceries, I'll look for a nice hyacinth to remember your mom and to brighten these gray northern Michigan days. You're right that time doesn't heal. You're also right that knowing Grandma is with Jesus makes heaven much more real for the kids. Ben talks a lot about when he'll finally get to meet her and how great that will be. Sending loving thoughts and prayers your way today, Rhonda, as together we celebrate the amazing mothers God blessed us with. Love and hugs, Amy
I thought that picture of you in the garden was Robyn...does she look like you or what??? I know that your mom would be very proud of the wonderful mother and wife you are... she raised a beautiful and special person. Love you, Lori K:)
Dear Rhonda,
Your tribute to your mom was touching and inspiring. I enjoyed the pictures too. Your words were good reminders of what is really important. I wish I could give you a hug right now. Aaron looks so deliciously cute and plump too! I pray that you and Ken have a great marriage, a wonderful life together and that each day you help each other be more like Jesus and more able to enjoy the life he has given. Love, Kay
Post a Comment