Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What Did I Do Today?

I had one of those days today where who knows what (if anything) got done. I cherish my children. Sometimes, however, they tire me out. 'Weary in well-doing' would be an appropriate statement. I try to mix enjoying and playing with them with the typical household duties, but that can be a tricky balance. (literally one thing was crossed off my to-do list today!) I am speaking at a Mother's/Grandmother's luncheon Wednesday and while preparing for it tonight I found this poem. Author unknown, but great sentiments and message!

What Did I Do Today?

Today I left some dishes dirty,
the bed got made around 3:30.
The diapers soaked a little longer,
The odor grew a little stronger.

The crumbs I spilled the day before
are staring at me from the floor.
The fingerprints there on the wall
will likely be there still next fall.

The dirty streaks on those windowpanes
will still be there next time it rains.
Shame on you, you sit and say,
"Just what did you do today?"

I held a baby till he slept,
I held a toddler while he wept.
I played a game of hide and seek,
I squeezed a toy so it would squeak.

I pulled a wagon, sang a song,
Taught a child right from wrong.
What did I do this whole day through?
Not much that shows, I guess that's true.

Unless you think that what I've done,
Might be important to someone
With deep blue eyes and soft blonde hair,
If that is true . . . I've done my share.

Boy can I relate! And I have four sweeties with deep blue eyes and soft blonde hair. The books read, lessons taught, hugs shared today, & the picnic, park, and library tonight were worth every minute. Next time I wonder, "Why isn't more crossed off my list?" I will re-read this poem! :)

Can you relate?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Rhonda, I sure can relate! I've never heard that poem before, but there were a couple similar ones that helped me keep my focus on what was truly important, especially when my kids were little. Today, its more like...I drove my son to drivers ed, took his brother to breakfast for some mom and me time, put away laundry, drove to town so the kids could help Aunt Pam and Grandpa with some yardwork, had my ready for his license son pratice parallel parking in the van (and yes he CAN do it!) and surprised my new driver with his first opportunity to get behind the wheel (love the new parking lot!), came home and scrapbooked for 5 hours to get it ready for my graduates open house, and whew! What a day!!! I kind of miss those rocking at home and going to the park days, but I love being a mom at every stage of life!Be encouraged that your time is spent investing in four precious lives, and the role you have in their lives is wholly unique and no one else can do it but you! This is what you were created for! Isn't that amazing?! Humbling too, for me anyway...You are such a great Mom, Rhonda. Enjoy your blonde haired blue eyed treasures!
Love,
Tracire