Thursday, May 17, 2007

Good stuff...

I am taking a graduate class during the "Summer I" session (May and June). I was a bit uneasy about taking the class, but it is my last required course en route to finishing my Master's program (which was begun LONG ago!) After this I have just one credit left!

My class, "The Principalship," has been surprisingly good and I think it is the best one I've had in my whole program. While I have no desire to be a principal, I am learning many things. If I can put even a few of these into practice in my life, the class will be worth its weight in gold.

Tonight we heard a veteran principal speak. He shared things he's learned along the way. Some of my favorites, in my opinion (no particular order):

1. Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
2. There is no room in education for the pessimist.
3. Hang the problems of the day on the tree out front before you go home.
4. "Help me to understand..."open ended and non-confrontational way to question someone.
5. Make daily deposits in the banks of difficult students ("I noticed that..."). When you need them to comply, ask them to "do it for me." (Love and Logic) He said this works for teachers, too.
6. Administrators and husbands are problem solvers. Parents and wives often just want to be listened to....
7. Listening is the most important part of communication.
8. Make a point to define the personalities on your staff that need your personal attention. Then give it to them.
9. The best way to motivate staff to make a change is for them to think it was their idea.
10. They won't buy into what you are teaching until they buy into you.
11. When days are stressful, think of your time at work in the form of a drama production. Take one act at a time.
12. Draw a name for a 1/2 day of comp time at each staff meeting (principal subs in your room). Wow! What a way to encourage morale at meetings!

Good stuff. Every day I am reminded of how much I need to rely on God for wisdom in all areas - as a wife, mom, teacher, employee, colleague, daughter, friend, etc.

No comments: